The thing about DMs is, because they last so damn long, some time between new pairs, I always forgot how painful it is to break in a new pair. Owie. :(
Work is busy. I’m nevertheless busy playing pretty flash-based games. My favourites are Winterbells (current high score: 2,845,220) and Bubble Bees (Current high score: 9,000-odd). Warning: do not click on that link if you don’t have at least an hour to lose.
Meme time! From Munchkinott:
- Leave me a casual comment of no particular significance, like a lyric to your current favorite song, your favorite kind of sandwich, or maybe your favorite game. Any remark, meaningless or not.
- I will respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better.
- Update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
- Include this explanation and offer to ask someone else in your own post.
- When others respond with a desultory comment, you will ask them five questions.
Answers behind the cut.( Read the rest of this entry » )
One day of semi-intensice coding later, I have a system that more or less does what I want it to do. W00t! \o/ I'm still finishing up the last bits and pieces (setting up a page for editing stories, checking titles across FPS/RPS/Non-fanfic tables, allowing for banner/cover uploads), and generating the title pages the way I want them is going to take a bit more work (mostly because to fully automate them, I'll have to conquer the COUNT function, which, HATE!), but at the end of the day I'll have something that will let me enter information into a form and generate a php file for the story, and then automatically generate the index pages without me having to faff about with them. Plus, it allows for slighly more complex stuff in future. \o/ I say! :D
... Oh hey, I think I managed to find a way to check for duplicates without the count function. Success! Now to tackle the image uploading.
Customer quote of the day:
Customer: "Whenever I try and open the SatNav, some writing comes up, why?"
Melle: "I don't know, Sir,that depends on what the writing is. Can you try and open the software and read me the message you get?"
Customer: "I'm calling from the phone, so it's a bit difficult to check right now."
Melle: "... Right. Do you know what the icon says that you press to open the software?" [To make sure he at least has our software. -ed.]
Customer: "No, and I can't check, because I'm calling from the phone."
And then he got snippy when I asked to call back from another phone. PEOPLE! How does that make sense? *headdesk*
And I leave you with this inspirational message, which StumbleUpon wanted me to see just now. <3
Before I end up pulling my hair out: any CSS gurus out there want to point me towards the best way to get a footer on a multi-column page? Because Google is coughing up a bunch of ways to do it and I can't seem to find one that works at least in FireFox and AUGH!
Linkspam of the Day, because I discovered Stumbleupon:
- WinterBells -- Beautiful flash game, and the music makes it even better.
- VisuWords -- An online graphical dictionary. Fascinating in that way that kinda fucks with my brain. (Double-click on some of the bubbles for more fascinatingness!)
- Foodpairing -- Not just here because it's a Belgian website, but also because this comes in very handy for people like me who like to experiment with food but don't always have this kind of thing down as common sense.
- Low Impact Woodland Home -- a.k.a.: Hobbit House built for £4000 in four months. We wants one, preciousss ....
- The Effects of Drugs on Spiders -- Yeah, um, that spider on caffeine? That's so totally me. *hides in shame*
- Hang Stan -- Hangman with a pig. And with answers that are much easier to guess than random words. :D
- Programer or Serial Killer? -- I got 3/10. I'm pretty much fucked, then, aren't I?
- LetterFu -- This just strikes me as kinda charming and awesome. I may actually start writing letters again with this. :D
- Guerilla Gardening -- This is just all kinds of awesome and win.
- Things Other People Accomplished When They Were Your Age -- In case your self-esteem needs punching.
My brain has had, alternatingly, Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny and Internet People stuck in it since yesterday. I've tried everything to make it stop, but even ABBA can't make this budge. Augh. This probably says something about me, but I don't know if I want to know what, exactly. (Note: This is not an excuse to start singing Badger Badger at me, nor the Hamster Dance song or any other internet meme jingle. This is bad enough as it is.
*delurks* Sorry about that. So, yes, still alive, doing ... as okay as I can be doing, really. Mostly. Not sure if I'm quite up to skip=infinity on my flist, though. Anything important happen to anyone?
Important Linkspam of the Day: You should all go look at this!
PSA of the day: If you're going to throw a hissy fit at a Tech Support Agent, and try to baffle them with Big Words, do make sure you're actually using said Big Words correctly, and that they are actually Big Words. "Default" and "faulty" (as in, "You sold me a faulty product!") do not mean the same thing, and neither word is all that Big. Snarf.
Link of the day: "British forces have denied rumours that they released a plague of ferocious badgers into the Iraqi city of Basra.". A plague of ferocious badgers, people! Beware of Hufflepuffs!
One: My new backpack is heavy, but holy crap, I can fit all my stuff in there, and everything has its own place! I don't have to dig around for anything! Bliss!
Two: Food post of the day.
Three: XKCD strikes again. (The phrase "I'm from the internet" is somehow hilariously funny to me. I think I need more sleep or something.)
I dun like French calls first thing in the morning. *blusters through call* Dear French people: Thank you, each and every one of you, for being nice and understanding with my halting, stuttering French, and for understanding that I do know my shit, it's this language thing I'm tripping over.
Random Link o' the Day, WoW edition: Interesting ad on Yahoo mail, hat tip to cynamin. Eheheheh. Um. They're targeting meeeeee!
(I still need a WoW icon. Hrm.)
And now, we apply for jobs!
(And I'm still baffled that you liked my handwriting. I barely have a consistent handwriting at all!)
Random idea of the day: Tech Support: The RPG! In which "Kill a customer!" is the answer to everything. :D
Also, I, er, may or may not have lost several hours to an internet black hole filled with WoWslash. Um. I have an OTP and everything. Um squared. I'm going to go to hell after being ripped apart by angry orcs and um.
[ETA] ( Daily Magnetic Prose )[ETA]
[ETA2] Spam subject line of the day: "Go burley my mettle". I want to use this as an insult now. Hee! [/ETA2]
You know, when software runs headfirst into the laws of mathematics ("Error: Division by zero error"), that's just never a good sign.
Dear work: HATE!
( Magnetic Prose )
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be coming out on 21 July 2007. *marks on calendar, takes time off, starts stockpiling canned food and bottled water for the coming wankocalypse*
Link of the Day: Orcas in the Firth of Forth. Awesome!
Meme, nabbed from ladyjaida:
Ask me to take pictures of any aspect of my life that you're interested in or curious about. It can be anything from my favorite shirt to my cell phone. Leave your requests as a comment to this entry, and I'll snap the pictures and post them as soon as I can.
One of my co-workers has the Indiana Jones theme as her mobile phone ringtone. IT MUST BE MINE!
... Scribbled on my notepad some time yesterday: "Snakes on a plane: the RP?" Dear self: no.)
And then I lost my electricity card. *facepalm* Thankfully, the nice lady at Powergen sent me out a new one and gave me a number I can give the shop to use instead of the card, so I can actually buy electricity vouchers and not be in the freakin' dark and shit.
[Unknown site tag]Revised To Do List:
- Get Christmas presents for everybody; (Planned for tomorrow, because it's a great idea to brave the Friday throngs. Er. Or maybe I'll go today …)
Write Christmas cards;(Just need address-labelling, w00t!)
- Mail cards and presents that need mailing; (Planned for tomorrow/Saturday, once I have the presents and get them wrapped up.)
- Give presents to local people so they can open them on Christmas Eve; (Mostly at my birthday thing on Saturday, need to e-mail other people to arrange to meet up some time next week.)
Clean,put up Christmas tree and decorations, etc.; (Christmas tree is up, but not decoratet; that'll happen tonight.)
- Join a gym;
- Get hair done properly, either by a pro or by a friend, and dye it some funky colour;
- Finish, or at the very least continue, the Jayne!Wingfic;
- Burn WoW US to CD so I can play from my mum's house and avoid going bugfuck insane;
- Get my yearly physical checkup done, or at least booked;
- Update my Google Calendar so I can keep track of things like I should;
- [This space left blank to add the gazzilion things I'm forgetting at the moment.]
I am so totally productive. Yay me?
Also, from dantesvendetta:
Batman is blatantly in league with the Russians: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/eu
rope/6177531.stm.Scroll down and look at the logo on the floor of the new intelligence building. Which may explain how they killed off that spy dude.
(Also via Mags: WANTS IT PRECIOUS!)
Monday morning (ed. note: when I started writing this) and my brain is trying to convince me that FO:pattern::fanfic:canon. I need coffee. Or possibly enough alcohol to kill off whichever braincell is responsible for this, grar.
Today's User Friendly resonates with me on a very basic level. I may have to print this out to hang up in my pseudocubicle.
I hate it when nice customers have legitimate problems that take ages to fix. Because then I spent an hour on the phone with them and it's still not fixed, and ajklsdlaksjdlkjdqmwn poodoo.